Considering becoming an EMT? The following points are from the New York State Department of Health’s functional job description for an EMT:
Emergency Medical Technicians respond to emergency calls to provide efficient and immediate care to the critically ill and injured, and to transport the patient to a medical facility.
After receiving the call from the dispatcher, the EMT drives the ambulance to the address or location given,using the most expeditious route, depending on traffic and weather conditions. The EMT must observe traffic ordinances and regulations concerning emergency vehicle operation.
The EMT –
– Functions in uncommon situations;
– Has a basic understanding of stress response and methods to ensure personal well-being;
– Has an understanding of body substance isolation;
– Understands basic medical-legal principles;
– Functions within the scope of care as defined by state, regional and local regulatory agencies;
– Complies with regulations on the handling of the deceased, notifies authorities and arranges for protection of property and evidence at the scene.
For a more detailed view of what is required of an EMT, click here.
To see a short video on EMS, click here.
Want to find an EMT Class? Click here.